Online Retailers - A discussion

Gaming aids and other fun stuff.
djpapabear

Online Retailers - A discussion

Post by djpapabear » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:03 pm

I want some rules in this thread (I reserve the right to change/add to these rules as necessary);

1) Please only post about a) companies you have personal experience or b) have questions about.
2) If your experience with a company is negative, saying so is fine, but no unnecessary meanness. I would like this to be a useful thread for people shopping around.

Note:Don't dismiss your LGS. I know I make most of my major purchases online because the discounts are too hard to pass up. But if you are needing a solo, light jack, some paints, whatever your 'threshold' is, please shop at your LGS. They give us space to play. The least we can do is to buy stuff from them.

So onto the meat of the thread;

1) Discount Games Inc (http://www.discountgamesinc.com/)
I give them 5 out of 5 Shocktroopers.
These guys are great. The selection could be better, but I suspect that is more of an issue with them waiting to get restocked occasionally than it's an isue with them. They have the best prices I've found(short of a very few ebay retailers) and if you spend $50 they give free shipping. As a note on shipping, they are just in Idaho (who knew) and as such it usually only takes a day or two for you to get items from them. Also, they have a 50% off closeout section. I check it every week.

2) Miniature Market (http://www.miniaturemarket.com/)
I give them 4 out of 5 Shocktroopers.
I like the MM crew quite a bit as well. Shipping has generally been fast and the prices are pretty good. They are in California (I think) so shipping to the Portland is usually pretty quick (In the 3-4 day range. Order Monday, you'll generally have it Thursday or Friday.

3) Discount Games Stores on ebay.com (http://myworld.ebay.com/discount_games_ ... 1497.l2754)
I give them 4 out of 5 Shocktroopers.
I have bought several things from them. Shipping is pretty quick (in the 4-6 day range) but they don't charge for shipping. Combining that with their good prices, they are an excellent resource for your mid-range purchases.

4) Broken Egg Games (https://brokenegggames.com/index.php)
I give them 1 out of 5 Shocktroopers
Their products are excellent. Their website is nice. Their customer service is terrible, and I have waited 60+ days for products I ordered from them. Just today (61 days after order) I got contact from the second person there and they apologized and said they would take care of me. Honestly, I'm not holding my breath. If they come through, great, if not, the money is already gone.

5) Battlefoam (http://us.battlefoam.com/)
I give them 3 out of 5 Shocktroopers
Your mileage may vary. I own the Warmachine bag, and I like it quite a bit. It's got the plastic plates on the exterior between the walls of the bag to protect the contents, and they have a lot of customizable trays, and the storage space within the bag itself is really nice. The foam is a little rough, and the strap on my bag broke. To get the repair done under warranty, I fill out a form, take it to a local seamstress/tailor, have them repair it, include the receipt and picture of the before and after and then they will reimburse me up to $10 of the repair (never mind that it would have cost me $20-$40 to have the repair done). While I like their products, I'm probably not going to buy another big bag from them.

So I'd love to hear from you guys. If you have stories (good or bad) post them up here with a 0-5 Shocktroopers rating and I'll update this main post for quick reference. Also, any questions or comments would be welcome.
Last edited by djpapabear on Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
2014 Pacific Northwest Watchmachine Champion

Byron

Re: Online Retailers - A discussion

Post by Byron » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:11 pm

http://mekanikastudio.com/index.php?route=common/home

Probably has one of my favorite carrying trays, and was the only option I could find that would let me put 3 huge bases on one tray (stupid eHaley theme force...). Would have loved to get one with trays... may get the add-on to do that.

Can't really speak to his actual store front, but working with him through Facebook was a

5 out of 5 trollkin champions

Battle foam

I have had no problems, have had multiple lines, currently only own WM/Hordes bags, and get good use out of them.

4 out of 5 Stormlances

Discount Games Inc

5/5 nothing more to add

Miniature Market

Have gotten stuff from them before... don't really have strong feelings either way toward them...

3/5 Whelps

The Warstore

Pretty much see above... tends to take a while to get stuff as they are in New Jersey I think?

3/5
“I need you to be clever, Bean. I need you to think of solutions to problems we haven't seen yet. I want you to try things that no one has ever tried because they're absolutely stupid.”

Sammy

Post by Sammy » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:16 pm

Miniature Market
I like them, have never had a problem. I find their prices excellent, basically 25% off with free shipping over $100. Sometimes you can find random things on clearance to make ordering from them even more enticing.

Cool Stuff Inc
No problems ordering from them, their price range is comparable to other online retailers for WM/H. Free shipping over $100. They accept trades for store credit from other games such as Magic cards. If you opt for store credit instead of cash, you get an additional 20%. I've found that this is usually comparable to trying to sell off magic cards via eBay or a B&M retailer, and it's really a no-hassle trade.

The War Store
Good vendor, their prices aren't quite as good as others, but I've never had a problem with an order and I've heard anecdotal stories that the owner Neil is prepared to "do right" if there ever is a problem with an order. Sometimes that's worth a little extra.

Advanced Deployment
It's a small shop that's run on the side out of Bellingham. They make laser cut gaming aids and markers. Their stuff is very nice, but their customer service and business professionalism is -100 Shocktroopers. Basically, I've had a similar experience with dealing with order fulfillment from Advanced Deployment as Djpapabear has had with Broken Egg. My order was finally resolved, but it took complaining on Internet forums and knowing a local industry guy who knew Ravvym the owner to get any traction. Even then, I never once received any communication from Ravvyn regarding an explanation or the status of the order. I get that it's a side job, but you can't run any type of business properly with the seemingly flighty attitude that Advanced Deployment seems to have. There have been multiple complaints on this same subject from other customers on their Facebook page and anecdotal stories that "Ravvyn just spaces on things sometime and is super slow". I'm willing to accept a little extra time due to personal issues or whatever from one of these small businesses, but when you start approaching 2 months after an order has been paid for with no responses to multiple inquiries via e-mail, Facebook messaging, etc it becomes an issue. Especially since Paypal complaints can no longer be filed after 45 days of an order.

TL;DR - cool stuff, terrible vendor. Only order if you absolutely must have one of their products and you can accept that it may take a long time to get to you, if at all.

Sammy

Post by Sammy » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:26 pm

Battle Foam
So I really like their products. The foam itself is more expensive than others, and I think it's overpriced but they do excellent custom cutting work, which we are definately starting to need in WM/H. I really like their standard WM/H bags, they're designed well and their hard backed walls feel substantial without being too heavy.

Although I recommend their products, I think it's also important to recognize that they're industry bullies. Someone will have to properly explain what separates their proprietary laser cutting methods from everyone elses's for me to be convinced that they're not guilty of some of the things they've been accused of on the interwebz.

djpapabear

Post by djpapabear » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:22 pm

Ok, so I went to the site for the ebay retailer I like, http://www.vendio.com/stores/Discount_Games_Store/

Their prices are actually lower than Discount Games Inc, but they have a much more limited selection (only 5 models for circle, for example). I think it's worth a look.

djpapabear

Post by djpapabear » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:13 am

Battlegeeks - http://www.battlegeeks.net/

They make MDF army trays, but more importantly they make line of sight lasers. Good product.

Also updated the top post with Discount Games new website.

djpapabear

Post by djpapabear » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:23 pm

Broken Egg update;
Got the templates. They are as promised. They arrived 4/6 after being ordered on 1/24. I was also told I would be getting extra stuff with my order and that I might also be getting a refund. Neither of these things happened.

reese.olson

Post by reese.olson » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:39 pm

I want one of these cases, not seen in actual use yet although there are some great blog posts and youtube videos.

http://www.tablewar.com/

Please keep comments in this thread to reviews on retailer experiences that you've actually had (example, I bought X from this online store and my experience was Y. Product was Z). If you would like, create a new topic for products that you want to share that look interesting. - Sammy