Cog Collective Forums

Warmachine Talk
It is currently Thu May 23, 2019 10:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Model Painting
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:30 pm 

Hello all! I have not been on for a very long time. I've been slowly transitioning away from the actual war game into more of the painting/hobby aspect. I am looking to start a small business in Portland painting models. Do we have someone in this community that already does that? (not trying to invade on anyone's turf) and is this a market that people would be interested in?

Post subject: Re: Model Painting
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:34 pm 

There are a few people in the community who do commission painting (I used to, and occasionally still do, but it's not a big thing for me right now). There are probably a few more in the Warhammer community in Portland. The best way to connect with them is probably the Ordo Fanaticus forum, which is a lot livelier than this one.

Yes, there is a market for painting, but it's almost certainly not going to pay much.

Speaking from experience, look long and hard at the idea of doing commission painting. Do research - there are plenty of articles on the Web and videos on YouTube that will give you some ideas on what it's like, what to do, and what to avoid.

Remember that what people are willing to pay is often not what your time is worth; not only are you competing with cheaper painters abroad (apparently Sri Lanka is a big hub for this sort of thing), but you are doing for money what many of your potential customers do for fun. In effect, you may end up doing something you enjoy for a lot less than minimum wage... which can be just fine! But know what you're getting into.