Ultimate Steamroller - Season 2

Talk about what's happening in the Iron Kingdoms
SnarlyYow

Ultimate Steamroller - Season 2

Post by SnarlyYow » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:41 pm

What: Ultimate Steamroller - Season 2: Portland vs. Valley.
When: Saturday July 11th, 10 am.
Why: For the Perfect Imbalance Podcast
How: Masters Format Steamroller Team Tournament
Where: Haven Gaming, Salem Oregon
Who: Whoever's invited

Details: We at Perfect Imbalance had an idea to create an "Ultimate Fighter" style reality show via our podcast. We called this: "Ultimate Steamroller." Season 1 was a complete disaster as scheduling conflicts arose which didn't allow us to post podcasts in a timely fashion. As such, our goals did not come to fruition. To alleviate some problems we decided to record all five episodes on the same day. Each team will field five players, the team that goes 3-2 or better will win. Prizes to be decided. Bragging rights eternal.

If you decide to do this you need to commit for the entire day. Each round will be interspersed with some commentary from the players, each game will be narrated. Each player will tell a bit about themselves. Get your stories ready, we want personal anecdotes that our listeners can relate to.

Currently, team Valley is selected. However, if you reside in the Mid-Valley and want to be a viable alternate let me, Tim Baer, know.

Team Portland is not selected. If you want to be on Team Portland please let me know. Ultimately, we at Perfect Imbalance leave the selection up to Josh Moore. However, feel free to throw your name into the hat here.

I will leave it up to the Teams themselves to select their team Captain.

If you need additional details please contact us via this post.

Duck

Re: Ultimate Steamroller - Season 2

Post by Duck » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:55 pm

I want to play

SnarlyYow

Post by SnarlyYow » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:49 pm

Team Valley:

Duck
Scott
Aaron
Kyle

And....I'm missing someone...

Memory=goldfish

Duck

Post by Duck » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:51 pm

Dustin

jesselowe

Post by jesselowe » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:15 pm

How many teams are you capping it at?

SnarlyYow

Post by SnarlyYow » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:34 pm

Team Valley:

Duck
Lucas
Aaron
Scott
Kyle

Jesse, This will just two teams. Best three of five. It will be divided into five episodes, so it's a lot of content for us. In the future we may expand this.

djpapabear

Post by djpapabear » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:50 am

Waiting to hear back from the final person, but team Portland is:

Danny
James (not Sliger)
Robert
JC

SnarlyYow

Post by SnarlyYow » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:42 am

Update on some guidelines coming tonight...

SnarlyYow

Post by SnarlyYow » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:09 am

YAY! We are almost here! The day has nearly arrived! A couple notes:

Tim and Jeremy:

Tim controls all the audio equipment. If you have a question about audio ask him.
Jeremy controls all the distribution. If you want to know where or when these episodes will be published, Jeremy is your guy.

For Commentators:

Prior to the game:

Make sure the mics are working. You can do this by asking Tim and getting a mic check.

Try not to play with the mics or mic stands. It creates unnecessary noise.

Try not to breathe into the mics. This is easier said than done.

Ask the opponents some basic questions: "What's your name?" "What faction are you playing today?" "What two lists did you bring?" Think of some questions that might not be completely obvious. Write them down and remember to ask them. "What do you like most about your faction?" "Are You married?
What does your spouse think of your hobby?" Etc. Personal anecdotes are good.

When people answer questions try to get them to reiterate the question. For instance, if you ask "What's your name?" Try to get them to answer: "My name is [name]" not simply: "[name]." Even better, ask two or more questions at once: "What's your name and where are you from?" "My name is [name] and I'm from [place]." The longer the answer the better.

The order should be:

Commentator Introductions
Player introductions:
Player Lists/List chosen and why
Scenario
Roll off, who went first/why, who went second and why

During the game:

You don't need to constantly provide commentary during the game. Feel free to ask questions, provide insight. Remember, I'm going to shorten up the audio when it's all done.

Verbalize what's going on. "[Player Name] advances his unit of Skin Walker to his left to threaten his zone."

Refer to zones as "His Zone/Flag" (Friendly Zone), "[Player's name] Zone/Fag" (Opponent Zone), "The Zone" (Singular Neutral Zone e.g. - Destruction), "Zone on Left" "Zone on Right" (Neutral Zones e.g. Outflank)

Between TURNS (not rounds) separate the opponents and ask questions about the round. Try not to provide insight or give them hints on what to do. But ask them: "I saw you targeted your opponents' Sacral Vault. Did you think you dedicated enough/too much/too little firepower to removing it?" Ask them why they targeted it. Ask them if they feel they got what they wanted accomplished that turn. Bring the other opponent back and send the other away and ask them how they feel their opponent did. Are they upset they lost a specific model? Do they feel they can come back? "What are their plans for their upcoming turn?" "What are their plans for their upcoming turn?" "What are their plans for their upcoming turn?" "What are their plans for their upcoming turn?" This shouldn't take long, but take a minute or so for each player. Make sure opponents are out of ear shot when you ask these questions.

At some point in time Jacob (AKA "Deadpool" may show up.) Let him do his thing, but feel free to cut him off if he becomes distracting. He's a cool guy and will make the show more interesting, but his insight to the game will be non-existent.

At the end of the game:

At the end of the game go over anything you feel they might have missed. Provide insight into the gameplay. Ask them if they feel they dropped the right list. Take as much time as you like to over casters/solos etc that you think were important or unimportant. Etc. Etc.

Make sure you clarify which team won. Do not make mention of the overall tally. If team Portland has won 2 and Team Valley has won 1, don't mention it. I'm going to mix up the games in the end so they will likely be broadcast out of order.

Feel free to add any content you want. I trust you. I asked you to be a part of this because I value your insight.