Cog Collective Forums

Warmachine Talk
It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New Player
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:02 am 

Hey everyone! Lived in the Portland area all my life. I play 30k/40k down at Guardian frequently and am looking to get into Warmahordes. Seemed like Guardian on Mondays will be my main venue.

So to get started I haven't bought any models yet and really want to know what my local faction base is like before I drop dollars. I have researched all the factions and their play styles and really like Convergence and Protectorate for Warmachine and Circle and Legion for Hordes.

Guess my big question is which of these factions is least represented locally and is the scene at guardians Monday night new player friendly?

Post subject: Re: New Player
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:05 am 

Let me rephrase... least represented in the Portland area lol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:28 pm 

Welcome to warmehordes, it's a really fun game. Legion seems pretty under Represented in the Portland area. I have not been active in a few years so it might have changed. If your interested I have a large Legion army I would be willing to sell if your interested. Between full time work, 2.5 year old twins and grad school I have no time to play any more.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:35 pm 

All the factions are pretty well represented, but of the ones you list Convergence may be the least played. Legion and Circle are both popular and powerful. (Red Castle Games had a couple of Convergence 35-point army boxes for sale last week, which is a good starting point for that faction. )

The usual crew at Guardian is welcoming to new players, though as the tournament circuit heats up for the year the more competitive players tend to focus on practice games more than teaching or fun games.

It's best to plug into the Cog GroupMe stuff to get games and advice; that's where most of the conversation is nowadays.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:37 pm 

Legion has had a major resurgence with the Trolls nerf and the Blightbringer just being released. We had 9 players in Salem in a 20 person tournament.

probably the least represented would be Convergence at this point, would be my guess or Circle since it's only CHadd and Eli AFAIK

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:15 am 

Thanks a lot guys that's really helpful. Went down and checked out guardian tonight and it seemed like a great group of guys. I'll probably jump into Convergence with Lucant or Axis as those are my favorite models. Bring down a small 15pt force once I get it all painted up and they can show me the ropes. Anyone know of any journeyman leagues or beginner events going on around town?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:32 am 

And not to further drag down the forum, but if someone could shoot me a link to the Groupme chat I certainly would appreciate it :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:00 am 

You can join here.

https://groupme.com/join_group/8281738/WyqrsM

Someone, probably me, will be able to add you to other groups from there.