Cog Collective Forums

Warmachine Talk
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:24 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:36 pm 

This last Saturday I was able to make it out to Red Castle for the Masters Event that Josh ran.

My pairing for the days was Stryker2/Haley2

[+] Stryker 2
Lord Commander Stryker - +6
- Squire - 2
- Stormwall - 19

Journeyman Warcaster - 3
Archduke Alain Runewood - 3
Eiryss, Angel of Retribution - 3
Gorman di Wulfe - 2
Rhupert Carvolo - 2
2x Stormsmith Stormcallers - 2

Horgehold Forge Guard - 8
- Captain Jonas Murdoch - 2
Stormblade Infantry - 5
- Officer and Standard - 3
- 2x Storm Gunners - 2

Objective - Bunker

[+] Haley 2
Major Victoria Haley - +5
- Squire - 2
- Centurion - 9
- Thorn - 8

Journeyman Warcaster - 3
Stormsmith Stormcaller - 1

Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Pistoleers - 6
- Gun Mage Officer - 2
Alexia Ciannor & the Risen - 5
- Thrall Warrior - 0 (Does not start in play)
Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters - 10
Greygore Boomhowler & Co. - 9

Objective - Bunker

My First game of the day was against Michael, we played Incursion. It was Styker2 vs Vyros1. I won the roll and chose the sides.
Turn 1 Michael runs all his stuff up the board. I advance up and put some shots into his phoenix.
At this point Michael realized he forgot to deploy his battle engine and decided to forfeit the match. We tried to play a little more, but his heart just wasn't in it, so we called it early.

My second game was against Coleman, who was also play Stryker2/Haley2. Our matchup wound up being Stryker2 (me) v Haley2 (Coleman) playing Fire Support. I won the roll and chose to go second so that I could force Coleman onto a side with no cover. Coleman's list was Double Stormwall, I figured it would be simple enough to get line on Haley with an assassination piece.
Turn 1, Coleman runs up. I also run up.
Turn 2, Coleman shoots down most of my Stormwall with his Stormwalls and a Harmbeam. He feats this turn and catches Stryker in Haley's feat; Haley also used all her focus. Coleman chooses my activations this, but I know that even with forfeiting my action, Stryker's feat would let me put the hurt on Haley. Everything walks up, I drop a pod on Haley (illegally! Stormwall had lost the super structure) and then did a Surge attack with a Stormcaller on Haley (also technically illegal, couldn't have dropped a pod). At this point Haley was at half health and Stryker had 4 focus so using my feat, Stryker advances into melee with Haley, boosts the hit, and misses rolling a 10 on 3 dice.
Turn 3, Coleman's Stormwalls almost don't kill Stryker, but they do.

My third game I was the pair up (12 player tournament, I was playing an undefeated, if I win the tournament is over) and was matched against Adam. Our game wound up being Haley2 v Deneghra 2 on Incoming. Adam won the roll and chose to go first.
Turn 1, Adam jams his units hard into zones. I run my units up, but elect to take shots with Nyss instead of running them into the zone. I also manage to separate Greygore from his Co with Alexia and the Risen.
Turn 2, Adam runs Denny into the zone with Incorpreal up and feats. He has stuff in both zones. I TK Haley up and move some boomhowlers out of the way, and take a Mage Storm shot at Denny. I hit but do very little damage. She was camping a lot. I counter feat.
Turn 3, I decide the order of activations for Adam. He continues to be in zones, runs Denny to the back of hers and then attempts to range assassinate my objective for the win. Bunker has impervious flesh so it lives. Adam is at 4. I see that I can get Thorn to Denny to Arc some spells with Haley, so I get a Squire focus and allocate 2 to Thorn. Thorn uses Disengage and runs to be on the hill with Denny. Haley boosts a TK at Denny, moves her into range of my guns and turns her around. Denny camping 4 focus. Then, for whatever reason, I stop Haley's activation, with 4 focus left on her. I shuffle my gun mages up to take shots at Denny. I hit her a few times and she's low but alive. I attempt hits with Nyss and even a Thrall bomb, but nothing works. So, because I botched Haley's activation and my subsequent activations I leave Denny at between 4 and 7 health.
Turn 4, Adam kills my objective for his last point.

There would be another round. But my wife called asking if I could come home, since I was 1-2 at this point I decided to go home to help with the kiddos.

The tournament was a lot of fun, it's nice to play. It had a bit of a disappointing end, but it is what it is. Now I know to pay better attention to Haley's activations. Additionally I put too much stuff on my forge guard with Stryker. They don't need Arcane shield on the advance in addition to Defensive line and Deflection, especially with Murdoch and go to ground. In my game against Coleman it would have served much better on the Stormwall or on the Stormblades. Had it been on the wall I might not have needed such crazy dice for my assassination run against Haley.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:53 pm 

Thanks for the battle reports. I'm glad I'm not the only one who botches stuff. With a practiced list I do this way less as I have a mental checklist of what I should be doing with that caster, but it can still happen.

Haley2 sounds like a real kick in the balls in every battle report I read.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:39 pm 

Everyone messes up. I mean, look at the super bowl... (Seriously who does a passing play on the 5 when it's your last opportunity to score? Not bitter)

The biggest challenge playing against casters like Haley 2, Denny 2, Gaspy 2, etc. is getting over any pre-conceptions. If you assume it's going to be a terrible game and that the caster causes a negative experience then that's what you will see. Any caster and list can be beat. Maybe not with any list, but you can beat them.

So tell yourself that they game will go well, and that you are capable of winning. It will go much better.

Warmachine 90% Mental 10% dice.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:10 pm 

I'm working on my Warmachine game being as little about dice as possible. Yes, dice happens, but it happens to everyone. If my game comes down to just a few dice rolls I probably had a bad plan going in. Yes, I've won doing the hail mary thing, but I don't consider it a good victory, a good victory is when I didn't need to hail mary and still won.

So I agree: 10% dice.